Sunday, September 26, 2010

Blip Nation Interview: Meet SabriESC

http://blip.fm/SabriESC                                             
Blipper since: June 7, 2009

"'Tofu Becomes Green.' Inspired by what I found in the back of my fridge today."



Pete Dulin: What part of the world do you live in?

SabriESC: Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Dulin: Why do you blip music on Blip.FM?

SabriESC: To connect with friends (and others whose musical taste I admire) and to share great music. It’s always nice to interact with people who don’t give you a blank (virtual) stare when you mention bands you like.

Dulin: What music inspires or motivates you to do something you'd rather not do?

SabriESC: Anything I really love would be motivating. I’ll say music from Frightened Rabbit, Engineers, and The Twilight Sad, to name a few bands.

Dulin: What song or artist do you hope to never hear again?

SabriESC: A friend of mine came up with the name “Theory of a NickelCreed” which I think accurately sums up my feelings for that sort of generic rock sound.

Dulin: If you were stuck in an elevator, then would you rather listen to songs by Stars, Freelance Whales, or The Smiths for a couple of hours?

SabriESC: Probably Stars. I only became a fan recently and haven’t yet listened to most of their older music (so much music, so little time). It would be a good opportunity to do that. Plus, they’re pretty upbeat, so I could always practice my dance moves to pass the time.

Dulin: What has been the most pleasant discovery, experience, or aspect of Blip.FM?

SabriESC: I’ll give you two answers to this one. First, Blip.FM literally brought music back into my life. I was very much into music in the 80s-early 90s, but gradually, for many reasons, lost interest in music over the years. I only listened to music passively and sporadically throughout most of the last two decades prior to joining. Blip.FM has brought me back to a state where I’m once again passionate about music, for which I’m very grateful (but a little mad at myself for letting go of music for so long)!

Second, the social aspect of Blip.FM has become much more important to me than I had ever anticipated when I joined. I never expected that I would meet so many amazing, funny and kind people through Blip.FM.

The most frustrating? 30-second clips.

Dulin: What song or lyric do you wish you would have written? Why?

SabriESC: Oh, that’s easy. “Candy Shop” by 50 Cent…..I really appreciate deep, introspective lyrics. Okay, in all seriousness, it would have to be a Smiths’ song. How about “There is a Light That Never Goes Out”? Clever, romantic, and morbid all at the same time. What more could you ask for in a song? One more choice: "F.E.A.R." by Ian Brown, because I love wordplay.

Dulin: How does music, whether playing/listening on Blip.FM or elsewhere, affect your behavior, reflect your mood, or express your personality from day to day?

SabriESC: Actually, it often reflects who’s in the room with me. For example, if my kids are around, I tend to avoid playing music that’s too “heavy” or anything with non-G-rated lyrics, of course. Apart from that, I often feel “in the mood” for a particular song or album, but don’t always know why.

Dulin: Fill in the blank super group band name. ___________ (noun that starts with T) ________ (verb that starts with B) ____________ (color)

SabriESC: “Tofu Becomes Green.” Inspired by what I found in the back of my fridge today.

Dulin: If you could Blip one song that could reach everyone on the planet, what would you choose?

SabriESC: I couldn’t pick just one. I’m not decisive enough, and as well, there is no one song that would appeal to everyone.

Dulin: Name 5 songs that would be essential on a road trip mix.

SabriESC: Given that my kids would likely be in the car, too, I would choose songs they like:

La Roux - Bulletproof
Friendly Fires - Skeleton Boy
Chairlift - Bruises
Wintersleep - Weighty Ghost
The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio




Dulin: What musician or band in Canada do you wish would become an international superstar? Why?

SabriESC: That’s a difficult question to answer, actually, because I have mixed feelings. As much as I would love my favourite bands to make money and achieve great fame, I think I would be slightly horrified to hear them on a Top 40 radio station or in Walmart. Secondly, when it comes to shows, it’s a completely different experience to see a band you love in a small, intimate venue as opposed to a huge stadium. The former is not compatible with international superstardom.

Dulin: What musician, singer, or band would you most like to meet? What would you do for a day and talk about?

SabriESC: The Twilight Sad. I’d want to ask them about their lyrics and the images they use on album covers and in videos. We’d probably discuss their issues stemming from childhood over a few drinks. Then I’d want them to cook some traditional Scottish foods for me, like haggis, and perform a short highland dance.

Dulin: What is the earliest age that you can remember listening to music? What artists/bands did you like in your youth?

SabriESC: I bought my first records when I was 12. (Tattoo You by the Rolling Stones and Billy Joel’s Glass Houses). By the time I was 15, I was completely into new wave and punk. At 18, I was obsessed with The Smiths and listened to just about anything under the so-called “alternative” umbrella.

Dulin: Do you gravitate toward certain artists, songs, or styles of music at different times of the year? i.e. Classic favorites to get you through winter?

SabriESC: We don’t usually get through winter here. We sometimes think we have, but then it snows again. Seriously, though, I don’t really associate different artists with different seasons….other than The Beach Boys, whom I’m not terribly fond of.

Dulin: Who are some of the people on Blip.FM that you connect with the most?

SabriESC: Well, I live with a blipper, though he doesn’t blip much these days - my husband, @newNEWwave, who introduced me to Blip.FM and has the best musical taste of anyone I know.

As for people I’ve met through Blip.FM: @jong, @Modster, @everythingispop, @Echo_L, @jennyleepenny, @by_starla, @Davrocks, @nastysurprise, @craigz, @wayoutosphere, @noiseannoys83, @sufferin_jukebox, @lilyetc, @Surreality, @orangekittypie….there are many others, but in the interest of semi-brevity I’ll just say “and YOU!” (thanks @jong!)…last but not least, the lovely @badtemperedzombie, whom I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know in person, and of course, my friend @Epicrates, shoegazer and list-maker extraordinaire.

Dulin: What blippers would you recommend to others?

SabriESC: I listen to hundreds of people who blip great music- it would be pretty hard to narrow that list down to only a few.

Dulin: Any other thoughts to share?

SabriESC: Thanks for setting up Blip Nation, Pete…..it’s great to find out more about the people behind the music.
__________________________________________________________________

Pete Dulin is the co-publisher and editor of www.presentmagazine.com and writes freelance for magazines, websites, and newspapers. Always looking for the next great song, he can be found in the Blip Nation at http://blip.fm/slipperydistortion. He unleashes profound non sequiturs at Twitter.com/petedulin and publishes creative work at www.petedulin.com.

Blip Nation on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment