Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Blip Nation Interview: Meet RandyElliott

http://blip.fm/randyelliott                                                               Blipper since: February 5, 2009

"I stay far away from commercial radio. Think of it like when mom always said to stand back from the microwave when it is on."


Pete Dulin: Where do you live?

RandyElliott: Austin, Texas.

Dulin: Why do you blip music on Blip.FM?

RandyElliott: I am an information addict. When something interests me, it consumes me. Blip.FM is an extension of my insatiable appetite for new music. The connections I am able to make with other music addicts feeds my appetite for new music and so the loop goes.

Dulin: What other ways do you listen to music?

RandyElliott: I absolutely love vinyl records! I recently purchased a Rega turntable and it is one of the most pleasurable investments I have ever made. The warm sound and breathtakingly deep bass are unmatched.

Dulin: Do you think the ease of previewing and sampling of music online with services such as Blip.FM enhances an appreciation of music? Contribute to short attention spans and a "disposable" mindset towards songs since you don't have to buy the music or invest much time in it?

RandyElliott: As far as enhancing appreciation, oh my god, yes! Other Blip.FM DJ's have turned me on to so many new sounds and deepened my appreciation for many I had written off.

As for part two of this question... Well, I have always had a bit of a short attention span. Wait. What was the second question? I may not be qualified to answer this.

Dulin: What are some artists that you have discovered on Blip.FM that others should know about? Why?

RandyElliott: Rusko = Of course, the mainstream knows about him now, but man what he has done for dub step is off-the-charts amazing!

Breakbot = Infectious groove with soulful lyrics that you cannot help but shake your ass to!

Mayer Hawthorne = Confession, I have a HUGE man-crush on him. Original R&B that you can sink your teeth into. Wait till you see who is singing it ;^>


"Live performance has a huge impact on both listening and buying habits of mine."

Dulin: Tune into a commercial radio station right now. What station is it? What's playing?

RandyElliott: I stay far away from commercial radio. Think of it like when mom always said to stand back from the microwave when it is on.

Dulin: If you were the station DJ, then what song would you play instead?

RandyElliott: Something that “I” actually like and want to share with others. Right now that would have to be Geographer, "Kites." God that voice grabs my soul with a big warm embrace!

Dulin: How does music, whether playing/listening on Blip.FM or elsewhere, affect your behavior, reflect your mood, or express your personality from day to day?

RandyElliott: Music has always been my therapy. When I have had a rough day, I put on something that fills the room and I dance and cook for myself. When I am feeling reflective or introverted, I listen to music that relates to what I am processing.

Dulin: Where do you learn about and hear new music?

RandyElliott: I follow over 300 blogs and have many friends that are equally addicted to all things music. I also attend SXSW every year.

Dulin: What is the last live show/concert you attended?

RandyElliott: Passion Pit.

Dulin: How does a live music experience relate to your music listening habits or buying behavior, if at all?

RandyElliott: Sometimes it changes my mind about a band and redirects me to another. For example, about 3 years ago I went to see Yeasayer, who was opening for this band MGMT at a small club. I ended up feeling so-so about Yeasayer and blown-away by MGMT. After that, I made sure to catch MGMT many times and purchased their LP as soon as it was available. So I would say the live performance has a huge impact on both listening and buying habits of mine.

Dulin: Since you began blipping, have you had any experiences that surprised you? Please explain.

RandyElliott: Many of them have been connecting with people around the world. Fun happy re-connections have occurred with people I have met out at clubs or concerts in other parts of the country and world.

Dulin: If you could blip one song that could reach everyone on the planet, what would you choose?

RandyElliott: Whoa. Where do I start? Just one? Wow. It would have to be one of my favorite reggae songs. This is the song that gave reggae its name. Toots and the Maytals – “Reggae Got Soul”




Dulin: Any other thoughts to share?

RandyElliott: Thanks for letting me ramble and share!

Blip.FM exists because WE use it. If there is something you think the community would find useful, then let them know. If there is something that you think stinks and is a waste of time, i.e. badges and interruptive ads, then let them know. Be kind and courteous in your remarks and they will bear much weight.

If you have not checked Blip.FM out, then come visit me. There are so many cool people to share music with that it will blow your mind. Prepare to have some fun. It is like listening to that first song you and your dad loved as you sat there just grinning at each other. ;^>

__________________________________________________________________

Pete Dulin is the co-publisher and editor of www.presentmagazine.com and writes freelance for magazines, websites, and newspapers. Always looking for the next great song, he can be found in the Blip Nation at http://blip.fm/slipperydistortion. He unleashes profound non sequiturs at Twitter.com/petedulin and publishes creative work at www.petedulin.com.

Blip Nation on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment