Thursday, February 10, 2011

Blip Nation Interview: Meet MyCosmicRebellion

Blipper since: January 30, 2010


 Pete Dulin: What part of the world do you live in?

MyCosmicRebellion: I just moved to Asheville, North Carolina. I’m an expatriate of Northeast Ohio (home of some really great artists: The Black Keys; Jim Jarmusch; DEVO; Guided by Voices; The Breeders; The National; Joseph Arthur; Talons’; Trouble Books; Mark Kozelek; etc..)

Dulin: If you were the new owner of Blip.FM, what would you like to say to the Blip.FM community? How would you improve Blip.FM?


MyCosmicRebellion: The first thing I’d send out to the Blip.FM community would be a quote by Haruki Murakami: "Music brings a warm glow to my vision, thawing mind and muscle from their endless wintering." Then I’d improve Blip by not allowing people to mass Blip, and by cutting out all the terrible iphone videos that sound like the @%()*#@!

Dulin: If you could be a guest artist on tour with any band/artist, then who would you tour with? What instrument would you play?

MyCosmicRebellion: I’d tour with Sunset Rubdown – Spencer Krug is brilliant. I don’t play an instrument, but if I did it would be the piano.

Dulin: Fill in the blank - I would rather blip music on Blip.FM than...

MyCosmicRebellion: Take a bath while eating spaghetti.

Dulin: If you could teach English anywhere in the world, where would you go?

MyCosmicRebellion: If I could teach English anywhere in the world I’d probably go to Romania. My ancestors were from the Transylvania area, and I’ve always been interested in the Roma Gypsy culture. The music goes straight to my soul. Django Reinhardt; Gogol Bordello; Balkan Beat Box; Kultur Shock; etc..

Dulin: If you could blip one song that could reach everyone on the planet, what would you choose?

MyCosmicRebellion: Nina Simone “Ain't Got No... I've got Life.” I respect that woman to the core of my bones.

Dulin: If you were on a world tour as a Blip.FM DJ and ambassador, what three countries or cities would you visit first? What DJs would you like to meet?

MyCosmicRebellion: I’d visit Ireland first so I could finally meet with @Dolittle in person. Then I’d go to Brazil with @Beap, and we’d hang out with @Eliott_is_dead. Lastly, I’d stop off in London, and say hello to my old friend @Shanx.

Dulin: What song or lyric do you wish you would have written? Why?

MyCosmicRebellion: Tom Waits “Never Let Go”

“Well, Peter denied and Judas betrayed
I'll bail with the roll of the drum
And the wind will tell the turn from the wheel
And the watchman is making his rounds
Well, you'll leave me hanging by the skin of my teeth
I've only got one leg to stand
You can send me to hell
But I'll never let go of your hand.”


It’s legal to have a crush on a man that’s twice your age when he’s as talented as Tom Waits.

Dulin: What band or artist would you like to compose an album as a tribute to your life?

MyCosmicRebellion: You could just play Nico “These Days” and Hank Williams “Ramblin’ Man” on repeat.

Dulin: What song reminds you of being in love? Of being heartbroken?

MyCosmicRebellion: A song alone can play upon my emotions. I remember the first time I ever heard Jeff Buckley’s version of “Hallelujah” …I was in tears!

Bowerbird’s “In our Talons’ along with Neutral Milk Hotel’s “In The Aeroplane Over the Sea,” and Neil Young’s “Harvest Moon” make me w-a-r-m inside. The achey feelings come when Chris Bell’s “I am the Cosmos” is played (goodness, have you HEARD that album?!); The Flaming Lips “Revenge”; Fugazi “I’m so Tired”; The National “About Today”; and of course Joy Division’s “Love Will Tear Us Apart.”

Dulin: Think of another Blip.FM DJ. You don’t have to reveal who it is. What question would you most like to ask him or her?

MyCosmicRebellion: @LocoStavos – How’s the weather in Ohio?

Dulin: What is your most treasured possession or favorite memory? Tell us a little about it.

MyCosmicRebellion: One of my favorite memories as a child is riding in the back of my mom's 1984 Buick station wagon. It had faux wood paneling and tan corduroy seats. My mom was in the front seat singing along to Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind." I always thought she had the most beautiful singing voice.

Dulin: Do you tend to sing along to songs on the radio, to music playing in the car or at home, or when blipping?

MyCosmicRebellion: If I’m alone I’ll sing along. I like to dance in the bookstore (when no one’s there of course). The Black Keys and Gogol Bordello are good for that.

Dulin: Whose tour bus would you prefer break down in front of your home so you could host them for a week? Cat Power, Aimee Mann, The National, Neutral Milk Hotel, or someone else?

MyCosmicRebellion: I’d like to host Radiohead for a week.  What a deal that would be, they’re each uniquely rewarding.

Dulin: What music would you play first at home to entertain them? What music in your collection would you hide out of embarrassment?

MyCosmicRebellion: I’d play some Duke Ellington; Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald; Billie Holiday; T Model Ford; Tom Waits; The Black Keys; some Leonard Cohen; and Jeff Buckley.

Luckily, I just sold most of my embarrassing albums before I moved from Ohio to North Carolina.

Dulin: You're in a vault at a major record label. You get to pick a secret album by any artist never before released that will be shared worldwide in 2011. What artist/band would you pick? What would you want the music to sound like?

MyCosmicRebellion: Thom Yorke, Tom Waits, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Jeff Buckley, and Nina Simone supergroup!

Dulin: Any other thoughts to share?

MyCosmicRebellion: Everyone should check out Own Records. They've released so many incredible bands, and they're just down right amazing people.

Also, I’d like to thank Blip.fm for giving me the strength through music to make it through my last place of employment and for introducing me to my current boyfriend @Stevthory.
_________________________________________________________________

Pete Dulin is the co-publisher and editor of www.presentmagazine.com and writes freelance for magazines, websites, and newspapers. He can be found in the Blip Nation at http://blip.fm/slipperydistortion. He can be reached at Twitter.com/petedulin, http://www.facebook.com/pete.dulin and www.petedulin.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment