Saturday, January 29, 2011

Blip Nation Interview: Meet muffinlab

Blipper since: November 18, 2009



Pete Dulin: What part of the world do you live in? 

muffinlab: Calgary, Canada.

Dulin: Since you began blipping, have you had any experiences that surprised you? Please explain.
muffinlab: I'm surprised that I genuinely like so many people I have never met.

Dulin: How would you improve Blip.FM?

muffinlab: I'm easy to please, but the YouTube covers have got to go, It bugs me that I can't blip Neil Young without sifting through 800 vids.

Dulin: What animal, cartoon/comic book character, or character in a film best personifies you?

muffinlab: I'd like to think I'm a cross between Beatrix Kiddo aka Black Mamba (Kill Bill) and Margot Tenenbaum, however in all honesty I am most like Tank Girl.  Kind of a tomboy, problems with authority, extensive weapons training, eccentric and questionable taste in boyfriends.

Dulin: What legacy of musical knowledge would you like to impart to someone else you know?

muffinlab: I'd like to introduce ANY OTHER genre to my uptight, vegan friends. There is more out there than punk rock! (Not to detract from said punk rock.)

Dulin: What band or artist would you most like to meet and why?

muffinlab: I would say Damon Albarn, but I'd bet money he would be a total prick; so, I'll go with Beck Hansen. I've never met a real live Scientologist, and he's a total babe.

Dulin: If you could impersonate a Blip.FM DJ for a day, then who would it be? What songs would you play?

muffinlab: I'd impersonate @nastysurprise and blip a load of Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nickelback because they are his favourite bands.

Dulin: What Blip.FM DJs would you recommend following?

muffinlab: I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings here, but for a good time call @FunkShoi @dronnoisseur @TheNewYorkChimes @GrassyKnoll @Arth @PennyDreadfulsNightmareJuice @Modster @anothercraze @igetfreepie @Letranger. Also, you can learn a lot from @radolo, @rojdoj and @sandyriverside. Bonus! These DJs are clever and quick-witted. (There are so many more!)

Dulin: Name 5 songs that would be essential for a road trip mix.

muffinlab:

Led Zeppelin 'Immigrant Song'
Fugazi 'Waiting Room'
Gnarls Barkley 'Storm Coming"
The Beatles 'Here Comes the Sun'
Fever Ray 'Keep the Streets Empty for Me'

Dulin: What interests you about blipping?

muffinlab: I'm too lazy to have a music blog, or read them.  I'm enamored with the idea of having comments to my soundtrack..and vice versa.  Also, Blip.FM>Facebook.

Dulin: If you could travel anywhere in the world to see a band/artist perform live, then where would you go and who would you want to see?

muffinlab: DREAMSHOW! - Gorillaz/Radiohead/Glastonbury. Note: This may have actually occurred at some point. Clearly, I missed it.

Dulin: What song would you like to see retired from Blip.FM?

muffinlab: NONE! that would be censorship :)

Dulin: What song or lyric do you wish you would have written? Why? Aesop Rock 'None shall pass' because his rhymes are sick! Also, his lyrics and style inspire me.

Dulin: Do you have a special song that makes you think of a significant other or a moment in your life? Tell us about the song and moment.

muffinlab: Pavement's 'Shady Lane' reminds me of my first love. The Killers' 'Somebody Told Me' reminds me of the day I lost it.

Dulin: Think of another Blip.FM DJ. You don’t have to reveal who it is. What question would you most like to ask him or her?

muffinlab: I'd ask @rojdoj for his beauty secrets.

Dulin: You're in a vault at a major record label. You get to pick a secret album by any artist never before released that will be shared worldwide in 2011. What artist/band would you pick? What would you want the music to sound like?

muffinlab: Beck...and I would want it to be a return to Midnite Vultures.

Dulin: What song(s) would you want to hear on a date that would sweep you off your feet?

muffinlab: Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes - "Home" (le sigh!).

Dulin: Any other thoughts to share?

muffinlab: Hercules and Love Affair - 'Iris'. You didn't ask, but that's the song I'd force the world to listen to if I could :)
__________________________________________________________________

Pete Dulin is the co-publisher and editor of www.presentmagazine.com and writes freelance for magazines, websites, and newspapers. Always looking for the next great song, he can be found in the Blip Nation at http://blip.fm/slipperydistortion. He can be reached at Twitter.com/petedulin, http://www.facebook.com/pete.dulin and www.petedulin.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment