Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Blip Nation Interview: Meet crispast

http://blip.fm/crispast                              
Blipper since: November 14, 2008

"It still surprises me how much the music can create connections between people so far away from one another."


Pete Dulin: What part of the world do you live in?

crispast: I live in Tuscany, Italy.

Dulin: Why do you blip music on Blip.FM?

crispast: The reasons are several. The first for sure is the love for music and the possibility to listen different genres and new music everyday; moreover, I got used to Blip.FM with nice people and love to take this network for what is: a social one. :)

Dulin: What other ways do you listen to music? (iPod, stereo, other online services?)

crispast: Usually I listen to music during the day using my mp3 player, especially moving from a place to another, walking. Also I listen to the radio almost everyday. I don't use other online services too much.

Dulin: What song or artist do you never tire of hearing? What is special about that song or artist?

crispast: If I had to choose only one, then my choice would be U2. I can listen to "The Unforgettable Fire" more than 10 times in a row.

Dulin: Do you remember the first music you ever purchased? What was it? Format (record, tape, CD, mp3)? Why did you buy it?

crispast: Yes, I remember I bought a tape by Raf ( http://tinyurl.com/2u5r4c9 ), "Cannibali." It was 1993 and I was caught by the single "Battito animale," a very popular song at that time in Italy.

Dulin: How does music, whether playing/listening on Blip.FM or elsewhere, affect your behavior, reflect your mood, or express your personality from day to day?

crispast: Fortunately or unfortunately, music is such a part of my life, my personal soundtrack. It's easy to understand my mood looking at the tunes I blip, but the relationship between me and music is not "one way." Music is also a sort of therapy, you can easily change your mood just by changing genre. At least, that is the way it works for me. If I have to define my personality, then I think that "eclectic" might be a good definition and so it's the music I like: I can listen to Mozart and then to Incubus or Sia or Sting.. without a problem :)

Dulin: Since you began blipping, have you had any experiences that surprised you? Please explain.

crispast: I know that socializing is one of the aspects of this network, but it still surprises me how much the music can create connections between people so far away from one another. Music has a power that is often underestimated. And meeting so many different people from all over the world changed my perspectives, and made me want to learn new languages (see: Portuguese and Spanish too, someday), to travel more, and hopefully to improve my English.

Dulin: If you could blip one song that could reach everyone on the planet, what would you choose?

crispast: "Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2.

Duiln: What local/regional musician, band, or singer do you wish the rest of the world knew more about?


crispast: Talking about Italian artists, for sure I have to mention Negrita, a rock band. (http://www.negrita.com/)and Carmen Consoli, an amazing singer. (http://tinyurl.com/34vzuon)

Dulin: What musician, singer, or band would you most like to meet? Why?

crispast: I know I'm repeating myself, but U2 is at the top of my preferences. U2 has always been part of my life, since I was a little girl. My life soundtrack.

Dulin: Do you have a favorite genre of music or preferred era of recorded music?

crispast: I appreciate different genres and artists, but if I have to choose only one, then I think rock in all variations - from classic to metal - might be my favourite.

Dulin: How are your music tastes different from or similar to your parents, siblings, or friends?

crispast: I think I'm different a bit from my parents about music tastes. They like more Italian and popular music in general and don't know too much about international bands or singers. About friends, I've a lot and different ones, all kinds of people, with unusual tastes also.

Dulin: What is the earliest age that you can remember listening to music? What artists/bands did you like in your youth?

crispast: Since I was a baby, I remember I used to hear and sing popular Italian songs like "Italiano" by Toto Cutugno (with funny results of course!) and I was less than 5, I think! When I was a teen, I used to listen to more Italian music than I currently do:  Raf, Eros Ramazzotti, Laura Pausini. Already, I liked Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, and U2, of course.

Dulin: What song or lyric do you wish you would have written? Why?

crispast: The choice is hard.. maybe "Working Class Hero." It has a deep social meaning and I'm in love with the melody.

Dulin: Name 5 songs that would be essential for the soundtrack of a movie based on your life.

crispast:

Stay (faraway so close) - U2
Even Flow - Pearl Jam
Drive - Incubus
Glorybox - Portishead
Perfect - The Smashing Pumpkins
__________________________________________________________________

Pete Dulin is the co-publisher and editor of www.presentmagazine.com and writes freelance for magazines, websites, and newspapers. Always looking for the next great song, he can be found in the Blip Nation at http://blip.fm/slipperydistortion. He unleashes profound non sequiturs at Twitter.com/petedulin and publishes creative work at www.petedulin.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment