Thursday, March 31, 2011

Blip Nation Interview: Meet moiberry

Blipper since: April 22, 2010



Pete Dulin: What part of the world do you live in?

moiberry:  I live in Luedenscheid, Germany. It’s a really small town about an hour away from Cologne.  There’s a lot of nature around here what I really like but after living in New York City and Singapore I cannot stay here for the rest of my life.

Dulin: Do you have a favorite genre of music or preferred era of recorded music?

moiberry: I use to try not to think in boxes, so I might give every genre a chance but I like Indie, Folk and Punk most. 

Dulin: Do you play any instruments? If so, what? If not, then what would you like to learn how to play?

moiberry: Well, playing is saying too much. I own a guitar and I had lessons, but I only know some chords and don’t have any feeling of rhythm but I’m still practicing.

Dulin: What features from other streaming music site or online media (i.e. Netflix, Rhapsody, Twitter, Facebook) would you like to see incorporated into the Blip.fm experience, if any?

moiberry: Private messages would be nice. It would be so much easier when you don’t have to search for users in other networks to get in contact with them besides 140 characters and everyone seeing it. Other features like on Facebook for example would be too much. I like Blip.fm as it is (except the missing message-system).

Dulin: What's your dream job?

moiberry: That might sound weird but I applied for a job at Blip.fm. I study Communication and Media Management and will be majoring in online marketing and I love music, so Blip would be perfect.

Dulin: Imagine you're a 14-year-old browsing through a music store. What band/artist do you wish you had discovered that was so great you want to tell all of your friends about them. What would you say?

moiberry: I imagine myself as very cool 14-year-old, not like the Justin Bieber kids nowadays (I listened to Nirvana when I was that age..), so I wish I had discovered The Undertones because their songs always turn me into a good mood. I would run to my friends and scream “Duuudes, I found this great band you should listen to!!!” then they would listen and ask me about what’s so special about them. But I would also find Mumford and Sons and my friends would really like them. Otherwise I would break up with them. Yeah, I don’t need friends who don’t appreciate The Undertones or Mumford and Sons.

Dulin: Name your favorite cover song, the original artist, and who covered it.

moiberry: "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" covered by Lykke Li. I think The Shirelles sung it first.. well that’s what Wikipedia tells me. I only know the The Ronettes' version.

Dulin: What song or artist do you think you've blipped most in the past month? Why?

moiberry: Ouf. I have some songs I blip all the time like Justin Townes Earle’s "One More Night in Brooklyn" or Conor Oberst and Gillian Welch’s "Lua" but I think the song I blipped most last month was either Chapel Club – "Bodies" because I really like the tunes and the lyrics, it’s just perfect or M.Ward’s I’ll be yr bird. I connect a lot with this song. It’s full of memories for me…

Dulin: What song or lyric do you wish you would have written? Why?

moiberry: I wish I had written Delta Spirit’s "Bushwick Blues." When I heard it for the first time I just thought, “That’s it.” I would replace the word “girl” with “boy” though.

Dulin: What musician, singer, or band would you most like to meet? Why?

moiberry: There are some for different reasons. I’d love to hang out with Vivian Girls and Best Coast at the same time. I think that would be a lot of fun. And I would like to meet Conor Oberst to make him sing for me because I love his voice.

Dulin: What artists are you excited about for 2011?

moiberry: No one in particular to be honest. I don’t wait for new releases and just stumble on new artists and bands, so that’s maybe what I’m excited about: Stumbling across music I did not know before.

Dulin: Think of another Blip.FM DJ. You don’t have to reveal who it is. What question would you most like to ask him or her?


moiberry: Wanna hang out?

Dulin: Pick one song that encapsulates your personality, and explain why.

moiberry: That’s hard! After going through my whole music library I decided it’s not going to be a song with any lyrics. I think the overture of Guiseppe Verdi’s opera "La Traviata" could describe my personality. All facets are somehow included. It’s a bit dark and thoughtful at the beginning then it becomes more and more optimistic and ends in happiness. This could be me. Sometimes really thoughtful and melancholic, but there’s always optimism and from the one moment to the next moment it all changes. I always try to be happy and to enjoy life as it comes taking the most out of it and to me the tension of this song reflexes this somehow.

Dulin: If you were on a world tour as a Blip.FM DJ and ambassador, what three countries or cities would you visit first? What DJs would you like to meet?

moiberry: I would definitely go to the U.S. where I’d meet my friend @kaparual who introduced me to Blip, then I’d like to see a show with @CreepingElm and @Yastrzemski, I would also like to meet @mirrormirror, @SoMuch, @orangekittypie, @nastysurprise, @cuezaireekaa, @Coffeenuts and @nitologic to eat burritos together. And I would like to meet @space_cadet tell her that I miss her blips.

The next country would be Thailand to meet @TinyTrees and we would have fresh mango juice (one thing I miss about not living in Asia anymore).

And to be honest, I’d love to meet the German blippers @alienfresh, @DJWhatever199, @spacespencer, @AutumnPerception and @Bettys (a friend of mine) and we would visit @lookaway in the Netherlands.

Dulin: If you could blip one song that could reach everyone on the planet, what would you choose?

moiberry: Craig Armstrong and Liz Frazer’s "This Love" because it makes me get shiver and I want other people to feel this too.

Dulin: If you could invite any band/musician over for dinner, who would you invite, what would you serve and what music would you play throughout the evening?

moiberry: I’d probably invite The Moldy Peaches. We would eat Beer Goulash with self-made French fries and then apple pie. The music would be Elvis Costello.
_________________________________________________________________

Pete Dulin is the co-publisher and editor of www.presentmagazine.com and writes freelance for magazines, websites, and newspapers. He can be found in the Blip Nation at http://blip.fm/slipperydistortion. He can be reached at Twitter.com/petedulin, http://www.facebook.com/pete.dulin and www.petedulin.com.

3 comments:

  1. nice interview ;o)) i think we must all palyevryday a blip for space-cadet for her to come back ahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moiberry moiberry! and it's so dangerous here :)
    Thank you!
    (lookaway)

    ReplyDelete