Thursday, March 17, 2011

Blip Nation Interview: Meet jong

Blipper since: November 19, 2008


Pete Dulin: What part of the world do you live in?
  
jong: Happy Valley (aka Provo), Utah. The area I live in has a really diverse landscape. I live on the edge of the suburbs with Utah Lake less than five minutes away, the Wasatch mountains are ten minutes away and Salt Lake City is thirty minutes away. So I am not so near the hustle and bustle of noise but close enough to the city. It's a great place to live in and raise my little kidlettes. To answer the first response I always hear when I tell people where I live, "Yes, I am Mormon. No, I don't have 15 wives and no, I don't have horns and a tail." (Yes, that's been asked.)

Dulin: You and Charlie Sheen are stuck in an elevator for three hours. What songs would you want to hear?
   
jong: 3 hours? Crap. White Rose Movement - Idiot Drugs. Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton - Winning. I also hear if you play The Dark Side of The Moon it syncs up to all his actions and nonsense that comes out of his mouth.
    
Dulin: Do you remember the first music you ever purchased? What was it? Format (record, tape, CD, mp3)? Why did you buy it?

jong: But of course and I still own it. Cyndi Lauper - "She's So Unusual" on cassette. I saved up my allowance for a couple of weeks and my mom and dad took me to MusicLand in the local shopping mall.

Dulin: What music knowledge would you want to pass on to your children?
  
jong: Hopefully, I've already passed on the knowledge A) you don't listen to crap B) Never ever change a man's radio C) I want them to be open to music and not pay attention to what the mainstream tells you is cool.

Dulin: In a battle of witty puns, who would win as the wittiest? You or Rodger Snyder?
  
jong: Rodger. But he more than likely will cheat.

Dulin: By estimation, how much time do you spend blipping a week?

jong: Lately, 24-48 hours.

Dulin: Tell us about a favorite memory or treasured possession. It doesn't have to be related to music.
   
jong: It would have to be my entire music collection. I have spent over 20+ years and many, many dollars on collecting cassette, vinyl, compact disc and the digital formats. If you have any idea about being a Nine Inch Nails collector, then you would know about the endless different releases that will drive you mad trying to complete the collection.
   
I have bought metal storage containers to safe guard my collection as I would be sick if it got destroyed. Are we clear then? And my family photos.
  
Dulin: Do you play any instruments? If so, what? If not, then what would you like to learn how to play?
   
jong: I tried the guitar and piano when I was younger and just didn't have the patience for it.  I hope, in the near future, to learn the piano as I think it's a  marvelous instrument. I also would love to tinker around with the theremin one of these days.

Dulin: If you could blip one song that could reach everyone on the planet, what would you choose?
   
jong: Could this be anymore difficult? Lisa Gerard - "Now We Are Free." Even though it is a made up language (amazing), I think anybody can feel its raw emotion.

Dulin: If text wasn't allowed in the blip and you could only blip the song, then would you still play music onBlip.fm?
   
jong: Of course. Even though the comments and social aspect is nice, it's still really about the music.

Dulin: If you were on a world tour as a Blip.FM DJ and ambassador, what three countries or cities would you visit first? What DJs would you like to meet?


jong: I'd love to see the Netherlands as that is where my family lineage starts. I don't know of any DJs there. Anyone?

 I hear Canada is lovely except I hear they all live in igloos. @sabriesc told me she has Wi-Fi though. I'd like to go back to London again. The coolest and some of the most influential bands have came from England.

Dulin: Imagine you are on a reality show where you must sing karaoke to an audience of friends and family. The prize is $1 million (US) that you can keep or donate to charity. What song would you sing?
   
jong: Mazzy Star - "Happy" I mean how couldn't I win even if I messed up? I have to think on that if I would donate it or keep it. Times are tough but a lot of people have it worse off than me.

Dulin: If you could blip a song now, as if it were from the future, and it would be sent to yourself when you were a kid, then what song would you blip?

  
jong: Cold Cave - "Life Magazine" Well, for one thing I can't stop listening to it lately and it has such a great beat. My kid form might not like it though, he would be more into some big hair glam band. Like Ratt's "Round and Round."

Dulin: What song would you want to blip to your significant other, friend, or family member before you boarded a spaceship to the moon with little hope of return?

  
jong: To my wife.... Creeper Lagoon - "Wonderful Love." The lyrics are simple and yet describe that feeling you want to share with someone.

Dulin: Blip Baby Roulette!!  If (pick an artist/band you blipped 5 songs ago) had a baby with (pick an artist/band you blipped 9 songs ago), then the baby would be named (insert name) and would sing like (insert name/description).
  
jong: If Helmet had a baby with The Big Pink it would be named The Big Pink Helmet and would sing, well, pretty awesome.

Dulin: Pick one song that encapsulates your personality, and explain why.
  
jong: Nine Inch Nails - "Leaving Hope." No words or lyrics needed to describe my beauty.

Dulin: What artists/releases are you excited about for 2011?
   
jong: The Kills, She Wants Revenge, The Big Pink (hopefully), Cold Cave, The Joy Formidable and many more I'm sure I have no idea about. Hmmmm, I already have a couple of these.

Dulin: Think of another Blip.FM DJ. You don’t have to reveal who it is. What question would you most like to ask him or her?
   
jong: Would you like a corndog in that igloo while we play Red Dead Redemption?

Dulin: What artists and/or songs would you want to hear on the soundtrack of your life?
  
jong: The Faint - Birth , MGMT - Kids, The Twilight Singers- Teenage Wristband, Fever Ray - When I grow up, The Smiths - Some Girls are Bigger than Others,  The Raveonettes - D.R.U.G.S. ,Crystal Castles - Courtship Dating, Depeche Mode- Clean, Gold Panda- Marriage, The Teardrop Explodes - Bouncing babies, Janes Addiction - Had a dad,  David Bowie - Never Get Old, Queens of the Stone Age- Song for the Dead andddd Dead Mans Bones- My Body's a Zombie For You.

Dulin: What influences your blip picks? Mood, nostalgia, new artist/song, social interaction, or other factors?
   
jong: I'm always looking for something new so I'll blip stuff I've never heard to get a taste. Mood also plays a big factor.

Dulin: What prompted you to join Blip.fm?

  
jong: I am a forum member on http://www.burningsoulsforum.com/community/ and one of the other users suggested it.

Dulin: Last live concert/show you attended? Who played? What did you like or not like about the live music experience?

   
jong: Well it would have been Interpol. They canceled the show and I'm still a little bugged about it...

The last show I went to was in the summer at a festival to see She and Him and The Dum Dum Girls. I don't go to shows as much as I would like to. My wife is not big on the shows and most of my friends don't have the same tastes I do.  I like getting out in the crowd and just zoning out with the artist on stage. Unfortunately, there are some stupid drunk girls and lame frat boys that you have to put up with.

Dulin: Any other thoughts to share?

jong: Being a member of the blip community has introduced me to a lot of great artists I may have never found. Also, I've met a lot of great blippers who share the same love I have for music and I can call friends. Thanks for doing these interviews as I've enjoyed reading them.

______________________________________________________________________
Pete Dulin is the co-publisher and editor of www.presentmagazine.com and writes freelance for magazines, websites, and newspapers. He can be found in the Blip Nation at http://blip.fm/slipperydistortion. He can be reached at Twitter.com/petedulin, http://www.facebook.com/pete.dulin and www.petedulin.com.

3 comments:

  1. Great interview! Wow Jon, has anyone ever told you you you bear a striking resemblance to Andy Warhol? And who's that Hope Sandoval wannabe groupie standing with you? ~

    Gayle aka Literati

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another wonderful and insightful interview Pete!

    ReplyDelete