Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Blip Nation Interview: Meet mz_rocko

Blipper since: March 30, 2009

"I'd like to have a Martini with Michael Stipe and discuss the state of the world or just the color of his pants."



Pete Dulin: What part of the world do you live in? 

mz_rocko: San Antonio, Texas - home of the Spurs and oh yeah, the Alamo!

Dulin: Do you remember the first music you ever purchased? What was it? Format (record, tape, CD, mp3)? Why did you buy it?

mz_rocko: John Lennon - Jealous Guy. I was little and and my Mom took us all to buy EPs. That was my choice, totally mom-influenced. I, like the whole world, just liked the sound of his voice.

Dulin: What kind of music bores you? 

mz_rocko: You know, I like ALL kinds of music - and I mean all. I just can't get myself to listen to country music ever. I can appreciate some of the classics - Mo Bandy, Don Williams, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash. My parents listened to all that, but now I can't sit still and consistently listen to it.

Dulin: What music do you listen to when relaxing? With friends? 

mz_rocko: That's tough. I would say these days it is more alternative bands - Shins, Stereophonics, The Vines, Blue October, The Cribs, etc. My heart is with the REM, U2, 10,000 Maniacs, Radiohead. These are on all our playlists.

Dulin: What is your most treasured possession or favorite memory? Tell us a little about it. 

mz_rocko: I would say a T-shirt with Bono's signature and quote that says, "Get Bono off your chest." Now this sounds fantastic, except I was a little 19-year-old teenage nerd with braces, bob haircut, and a T-shirt with a big happy face on it when I had the honor to meet him. This is not the way you want to look when you meet Bono, the man you have been lusting after since you discovered boys, even with his mullet. Anyhow, love this shirt. It's hanging in my closet.

Dulin: Where do you learn about and hear new music? 

mz_rocko: Blip.FM is key. I have been introduced to sooo many new bands on here. I will turn to music blogs and satellite radio, but mainly it's Blip.FM. The diversity of music is unbelievable. Why let Pandora suggest when you can have a Blip DJ do this for you and actually discuss the music in real time?

Dulin: If you could blip one song that could reach everyone on the planet, what would you choose?

mz_rocko: Just one? Wow, I would go with The Killers' "Smile Like You Mean It." My ode to spreading cheesy smiley love and it's a great song.

Dulin: Pick a song by one of your favorite artists/bands. If you were a producer, then who would you pick to cover that song?

mz_rocko: Interesting. I would say "Ciao Edie" by The Cult covered by Muse and if I wanted to stretch this, I would say Kanye West. Bet that would be insane.

Dulin: What song or type of music makes you want to dance? 

mz_rocko: Again, depends on the mood and what day of the week it is. Everything from Erasure, Depeche Mode, and The Cure to the Fratellis, Vampire Weekend, and Franz Ferdinand to Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, and The Black Eyed Peas - "The Time" (what a great beat).

Dulin: What musician, singer, or band would you most like to meet? Why?

mz_rocko: If you follow me, you know I love U2 and would love a second chance in front of BONO; however, if that doesn't count, then I would say Michael Stipe. He puts on such a great performance, is intelligent, and just mesmerizing. I'd like to have a Martini with him and discuss the state of the world or just the color of his pants.

Dulin: What song or lyric do you wish you would have written? Why?

mz_rocko: I think that I would say "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits. It's the classic love story but told with modern lyrics and sweet sweet music. I love this song. It is definitely car concert worthy.

Dulin: Do you play any instruments? If not, what would you like to play? 

mz_rocko:No, unfortunately, I have butter fingers. If I did, I would love to play the piano.

Dulin: Name 5 songs that would be essential on a road trip mix.

mz_rocko:

REM - Crush with Eyeliner
Guns N Roses - I Think About You
Smashing Pumpkins - I am One
Pearl Jam - Glorified G
B-52's - Roam

Dulin: Share some examples of well-designed album cover art or a music video that appeals to you and explain why.

mz_rocko: That's hard. Let's see. Van Halen II by Van Halen. It is such a simple cover, but I used to practice over and over trying to perfect this logo for my Trapper Keeper. Videos. Wow. They are now sooo complicated. I like good ole performance videos such as U2, "I Will Follow."

Dulin: What are your favorite things to do when not listening to music?

mz_rocko: It's funny but it seems that I have music on everywhere I go. At home on the laptop, during the 8-hour work day, while I'm running, when I'm in the car driving, when I'm dancing around with my little superkid. I can't escape music and wouldn't want it any other way. It has a way of taking me to the place where I need to be and let's face it, drowning out the realities to some degree.

Dulin: Do you prefer to focus on only songs by an artist that appeal to you or do you give the whole recording time to grow on you?

mz_rocko: I give it all a chance. Some of the best songs are the B-side songs. Little jewels that don't see the light of day.

Dulin: Any other thoughts to share?

mz_rocko: I just want to say that Blip.FM has been such a great experience. It is not just about the music, but the great people you meet. If you are on here long enough, you can tell a DJ's mood by their playlist. You become a part of something bigger and I think this is bonus to all the fantastic music being shared on here and what drives the Blip addiction. So thanks and let the music and Blip love continue to flow.  (Nod to my homies goes here @mirrormirror @derkrauss - :) )
__________________________________________________________________

Pete Dulin is the co-publisher and editor of www.presentmagazine.com and writes freelance for magazines, websites, and newspapers. Always looking for the next great song, he can be found in the Blip Nation at http://blip.fm/slipperydistortion. He unleashes profound non sequiturs at Twitter.com/petedulin and publishes creative work at www.petedulin.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment