Monday, November 29, 2010

Blip Nation Interview: Meet sufferin_jukebox

Blipper since: February 5, 2009

"Top 40 music bores the shit outta me."


 
Pete Dulin: What part of the world do you live in?

sufferin_jukebox: Live in Reno, Nevada, but grew up in greater Los Angeles (Orange County).

Dulin: Do you remember the first music you ever purchased? What was it? Format (record, tape, CD, mp3)? Why did you buy it?

sufferin_jukebox: First recorded music was a 45 rpm called "Don't Hang Up" by The Orlons. Wow, I'm old.

Dulin: What kind of music bores you?

sufferin_jukebox: Top 40 music bores the shit outta me.

Dulin: What music do you listen to when relaxing? With friends?

sufferin_jukebox: Relaxing music... Hmm, I can't pin that down to one genre.

Dulin: What is your most treasured possession or favorite memory? Tell us a little about it.

sufferin_jukebox: Recordings would probably be old 45s and LP collection and my saxophone. Favorites memories are Mexico with friends.

Dulin: Where do you learn about and hear new music?

sufferin_jukebox: Learn about new music from Blipmates and various music blogs.

Dulin: If you could blip one song that could reach everyone on the planet, what would you choose?

sufferin_jukebox: Wow. Just one. I really like the Avett Brothers right now. I guess “I And Love And You.”

Dulin: Pick a song by one of your favorite artists/bands. If you were a producer, then who would you pick to cover that song?

sufferin_jukebox: Avi Buffalo's “What's It In For” and Peter Gabriel covering it.

Dulin: What song or type of music makes you want to dance?

sufferin_jukebox: Dance music would have to be 70s punk rawk.

Dulin: What musician, singer, or band would you most like to meet? Why?

sufferin_jukebox: I'd like to meet Morrissey. I dunno why.

Dulin: What song or lyric do you wish you would have written? Why?

sufferin_jukebox: I wish I had written “Here Comes the Flood” by Peter Gabriel. Why? It’s very heartfelt. That song calls to me.

Dulin: Do you play any instruments? If not, what would you like to play?

sufferin_jukebox: I play saxophone and a bit of guitar.

Dulin: Name 5 songs that would be essential on a road trip mix.

sufferin_jukebox:

Rolling Stones - All Down The Line
Death Cab For Cutie - 405
Lucinda Williams - Bus To Baton Rogue
Son Volt - World Waits For You
R.E.M. - So. Central Rain

Dulin: What musician, singer, or band would you most like to meet? Why?

sufferin_jukebox: Like to meet Jagger/Richards. no explanation needed.


Dulin: Share an example of well-designed album cover art or a music video that appeals to you and explain why.

sufferin_jukebox: I like “Sticky Fingers” by The Rolling Stones.. way ahead of its time and designed by Andy Warhol.

Dulin: What are your favorite things to do when not listening to music?

sufferin_jukebox: I enjoy playing golf and torturing my family.

Dulin: Do you prefer to focus on only songs by an artist that appeal to you or do you give the whole recording time to grow on you?

sufferin_jukebox: Depends on the artist..Some groups or artists I like through and through.. Other have to grow on me.

Dulin: Any other thoughts to share?

sufferin_jukebox: I have to say, Blip has been an amazing format to allow all of us to express ourselves musically and I have really met some wonderful people here.
__________________________________________________________________

Pete Dulin is the co-publisher and editor of www.presentmagazine.com and writes freelance for magazines, websites, and newspapers. Always looking for the next great song, he can be found in the Blip Nation at http://blip.fm/slipperydistortion. He unleashes profound non sequiturs at Twitter.com/petedulin and publishes creative work at www.petedulin.com.

1 comment:

  1. I'd have to agree with him on 'I And Love And You'. Great tune.

    ReplyDelete