What is Blip Nation?
Blip Nation is a blog that began as an idea to learn more about a community of people united by music beyond borders.
I signed up to Blip.FM on November 30, 2008 and began playing (blipping) songs and artists online that I knew or wanted to explore. The site enables me to meet and interact with other people online that are interested in music. Less than two years later, I have attracted nearly 10,000 listeners spread across the United States and numerous countries across the planet.
I wanted to ask them questions about their tastes and thoughts about music and how it matters in their life. The voice of the individual listening to and commenting about music is equally as vital as the artists creating music that reaches many people.
Tell us more about yourself.
• My Blip identity is SlipperyDistortion, but most people know me as Pete Dulin. SlipperyDistortion is a random combination of two words that I once used to title a CD mix. Slippery: Evasive in meaning, changing according to one's view. Distortion: change the form of an electrical signal or sound wave during transmission, amplification, or other processing.
• Born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri.
• Music is energy, a conversation, a time capsule, an expression of emotion that helps us navigate the open spaces and blind turns of life.
• In essence, I create as a writer, editor, photographer, cook, and social connector. Professionally, I publish PresentMagazine.com, an online magazine about food, music, art, and community - key themes and interests in my life - and am a freelance writer.
• You can reach me at http://blip.fm/SlipperyDistortion or http://twitter.com/petedulin.